Legal Helpline

Monday to Friday 9-5pm (03) 9113 9500

On this page

About our service

Youthlaw is a free statewide legal service for anyone aged 25 and under.

If you are 25 or older we are unable to assist you.

We also provide legal information to adults working with or assisting young people (parents/siblings/youth workers/social workers)

To access our helpline service, you can:

  • Call us: Monday – Friday | 9am – 5pm on (03) 9113 9500
  • Email us:
  • Fill out our form (3-5 days turnaround)

When you call our helpline you will be assisted by one of our volunteers who will ask some questions about you and your situation. These questions are to help us determine what level of service you are eligible for. You will then be referred to one of our lawyers who will contact you, within 5 business days.

For Ballarat and surrounding areas, please contact the Youthlaw Ballarat team:

Monday – Friday | 9am – 3pm

  • Contact Katrina on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays on 0407 854 223 or
  • Contact Sophie on Tuesday and Thursdays on 0493 621 296 or

All information you provide is strictly confidential.

Issues We Can Assist With

  • Becoming Independent
  • Change Of Name
  • Criminal Charges
  • Debts
  • Driving/Traffic Offences
  • Family Law
  • Family Violence (find more information below) 
  • Family Violence Intervention Order
  • Fines
  • Infringements
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents
  • Personal Safety Intervention Orders
  • Police Complaints
  • School Issues
  • Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal

Further information on these and other issues can be found in our learn about the law section.

Issues We Can Not Advise On

We can not help with:

  • Bankruptcy
  • Centrelink and Social Security
  • Child Protection
  • Child Support
  • Commercial Matters (small business, commercial leases, business contracts)
  • Consumer Credit
  • Consumer Law
  • Conveyancing
  • Criminal Law – County Court, Supreme Court or High Court
  • Defamation
  • Discrimination
  • Employment Law
  • Freedom of Information
  • Guardianship
  • Healthcare Complaints
  • Immigration
  • Insurance
  • Mental Health Complaints
  • Migration
  • Neighborhood Disputes
  • Non-for-Profit Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Tax Law
  • Tenancy
  • Whistleblowing
  • Wills and Estates

Will we take your case on?

  • We prioritise young people who are most in need.
  • Please see our service guidelines.
  • When our lawyers contact you they will advise whether we will be able to take on your matter or refer you to another service.
  • If you are eligible for Legal Aid we will refer you.
  • Victoria Legal Aid Help Line: 1300 792 387

Youthlaw’s Family Violence Program

We provide a family violence service, consisting of lawyers and social workers.

Family violence can affect anyone and can include:

  • Physical assault
  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Financial abuse (taking away access to money/taking away money for food or clothing)
  • Damage to property
  • Threatening or harming to pets
  • Threatening or harming other family members
  • Monitoring when your movements
  • Stopping you from seeing people (family/friends/doctors)
  • Monitoring your mobile and/or email

If you are in immediate danger, please call 000 (triple zero) for assistance. 

Please note: We are not a crisis service.

If you or anyone you know is in immediate danger, please call 000 (triple zero)

  • Safe Steps, Victoria’s 24/7 Family Violence Responseline are available on 1800 015 188
  • Telephone Interpreter Services are available on 131 450, if you need an interpreter. They are a 24-hour service and will connect you with the service you require.
  • Kids Helpline is available on 1800 55 1800
  • Lifeline is available on 13 11 14 
  • Melbourne City Mission is available for urgent housing, food, and other services.
  • Suicide Callback Service is available on 1300 659 467
  • Headspace is available for mental health, alcohol, drugs, well-being, and schooling support.
  • 13YARN is available on 13 92 76, a service provided by Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander People for Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander People.
  • Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency is available via the link.
  • Switchboard is available on 1800 729 367, anonymous, free telephone counselling, information, and referrals for LGBTQIA+ communities.
  • Queerspace is available on 03 9663 6733, a mental health and counselling service for LGBTQIA+ communities.
  • Sexual Assault Crisis Line is available on 1800 806 292.

Feedback or Concerns

If you have any feedback or concerns about the service you receive from Youthlaw, please follow this link on how to make a complaint.