Transitioning from out-of-home care can be a difficult time. Many care leavers experience multiple disadvantages, including a high number of unaddressed legal problems.
The Legal Pod program is a free legal service aimed at care leavers aged 18-25 to provide ongoing legal support as they transition to independence. The program connects clients with a pod of pro bono lawyers who can provide support for up to three years.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for assistance through the Legal Pod program if:
• You are aged 18 to 25;
• You live in Victoria;
• You have had an experience in out-of-home care, including foster care, kinship care or residential care; and
• You need help with one or more of the areas of law we can help with (see below).
If you need urgent legal help, we may need to refer you elsewhere for more immediate assistance.
How we can help
We can help with a wide range of legal problems including:
• Government decisions
• Requests for records
• Victims of Crime applications
• Your rights at work
The Legal Pod service is unable to help with:
• Family law e.g. separation, child protection.
• Criminal law representation
• Personal injury claims
However, we can refer you to the best legal support for these issues.
How to get assistance
If you are a young person or worker interested in connecting with the Legal Pod program, please contact email@example.com or call 9113 9500 and ask to speak with the Legal Pod manager.