Youthlaw works to address the legal issues facing young people through legal services, advocacy, law reform and preventative education programs, within a human rights and social justice framework.
We were established in 2001 – initiated by the community and assisted by Ashurst law firm ( then Blake Dawson Waldron)
Youthlaw is based in the Melbourne CBD (19 King Street) and is co-located and works closely with Frontyard Youth Services.
We have a drop in clinic at Frontyard and a number of innovative outreach services including a Skype legal service to young people in regional and rural Victoria.
Our services and programs include :
- Legal advice by phone & email
- Drop in clinic at Frontyard
- Outreach services via frontline youth services including 5 Headspace centres and 5 youth centres.
- Policy & Advocacy Program
- Family Violence Program including support at Frontyard & duty lawyer service at Melbourne’s Children’s Court
- Fines clinic staffed by trained later year law students & supervised by a lawyer
- RMIT student service – online , appointments and by Skype to other campuses
- Legal Training partnership with the Youth Affairs Council of Victoria
- Legal Education program
- Volunteer program