Youthlaw has a robust volunteer program for students and graduates to gain experience in the community legal sector. Our lawyers rely on volunteers to assist with casework and the day to day administrative operations of the centre. We expect a high standard from our volunteers and in return we provide training, supervision and mentorship.
In this program, you are a volunteer paralegal. At this stage, Youthlaw does not have the resources to supervise volunteer lawyers.
You will be trained to provide administrative and paralegal support to Youthlaw’s lawyers and staff.
Your key responsibilities include:
- assisting with casework including drafting legal correspondence and transcribing police interviews;
- incoming and outgoing communication with clients and other relevant parties via phone and email;
- providing file management support to lawyers including conflict checking, data entry and maintaining file notes and client records
- conducting research for casework and policy initiatives;
- general administrative tasks including sorting incoming and outgoing mail and photocopying; and
- other tasks as required.
There are also opportunities to attend court and sit in on client interviews with Youthlaw’s lawyers.
- be enrolled in / a graduate of a relevant tertiary degree (eg Law, Legal Studies, Criminology, Communications, Computer Science, IT, Social Work etc);
- have completed at least one year of a relevant tertiary degree (ie in second year of above);
- be available to volunteer once a week (9:30am to 5pm) for a minimum of 12 months; and
- have / obtain a Working With Children Check
No longer a student? We invite applications from graduates to be a volunteer paralegal, however please note that volunteer opportunities are only available during office hours, 9:00am to 5:00pm.
We normally conduct our volunteer intake annually in January/February. Volunteer opportunities may also arise throughout the year if positions become vacant. Please direct any volunteer queries by email to our Admin Officer and Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently not accepting volunteer applications.
Please note COVID-19 has affected our volunteer program. It also has affected our annual intake.
If you would like to be placed in our mailing list, so that when we do advertise for the volunteer program, you would be one of the first to hear about it, please contact our Admin Officer and Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
Secondary students and tertiary placement students
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to supervise secondary students and tertiary placement students (excluding RMIT JD students undertaking a clinical placement unit). Have a look at the Federation of Community Legal Centre’s website for opportunities at other legal centres .