On this page

This information sheet details information about legal services in Victoria as of 29 September 2020 .


Can I speak to a lawyer?

If you have a legal problem it is important to get legal help early. Act quickly. If you wait your problem or fine could get worse.


Youthlaw gives free legal advice and information to people under 25 years age.

You can :

email a lawyer on the Youthlaw website,

call us on 9113 9500 to speak to a lawyer

Call on 9113 9500 and we may suggest you come in to see us.


If you have fines call us and speak to a lawyer . We will give you advice, refer you to our self-help info , or we will get you to come in to our Friday Fines Clinic ( every Friday)

Other legal services

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service

This service is for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people.
You can get legal help about most areas of the law.
Ph: 1800 064 865 or 9418 5999

Victoria Legal Aid – Legal Help

Legal Help is a public telephone service for all Victorians. They can be a good first point for legal info & where to go to get help. If you are eligible they will refer you internally to their lawyers or to a duty lawyer at court .
Ph: 1300 792 387

Community Legal Centres

There are about 50 Community legal centres in Victoria. They  all provide free legal assistance . They are all a bit different as to what they can help you with and the extent to which they can.  It’s best to call them first to find out .

Specialist community legal centres

There are a number of specialist community legal centres in Victoria :

Centrelink issues

Social Security Rights Victoria
Ph: (03) 9481 0355

Rental issues

Tenant’s Union of Victoria
Ph: (03) 9416 2577

Consumer protection issues

Consumer Action Law Centre
Ph: (03) 9629 6300

Employment issues

Young Workers Centre on 1800 714 754 ( for young people up to 30 years  )


Job Watch
Ph: (03) 9662 1933 or 1800 331 617 (country callers)

Domestic Violence and family issues

Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre Ph: (03) 9928 9600, 1800 015 188 (toll free) (24 hours 7 days per week)

Women’s Legal Service Victoria
Ph: (03) 8622 0600 or 1800 133 302 (toll free)


Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service
Ph: (03) 5227 3338 or 1800 014 111 (free call for legal issues only)

Disability Discrimination Legal Service
Ph: (03) 9654 8644


Immigration issues

Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
Ph: (03) 9326 6066

Refugee Legal
Ph: (03) 9413 0100 (Advice Line: Wednesdays 10am-2pm, Fridays 10am-2pm)                                                                                                  Ph: (03) 9413 0101 (General enquiries)

Homeless or at risk of homelessness

Homeless Persons Legal Clinic
(03) 8636 4408 or 1800 606 313 (toll free)

Mental health issues

Mental Health Legal Centre
Ph: (03) 9629 4422 or 1800 555 887 (toll free)

Can I email a lawyer?

You can email a lawyer to get legal information.

Legal information for people under 25 years old


LawMail is a national service. Email a lawyer in your home state to get legal information https://www.lawmail.org.au/details

Finding legal information

Youthlaw’s website has information and fact sheets covering common legal problems for young people.

The Lawstuff website has legal information for young people around Australia. Lawstuff hosts LawMail, a national legal information email service.

Victoria Legal Aid
Victoria Legal Aid has a youth section on its website. There are factsheets and publications you can download with information on common youth legal issues.

Community Legal Centres
Your local community legal centre will also have brochures and factsheets. Contact the Federation of Community Legal Centres.

The Law Handbook Online
The Law Handbook is a practical guide to the law in Victoria. There are useful factsheets that you can download.