Youthlaw has a robust volunteer program for students and graduates to gain experience in the community legal sector. Our lawyers rely on volunteers to assist with casework and the day to day administrative operations of the centre. We expect a high standard from our volunteers and in return we provide training, supervision and mentorship.
Volunteers are trained to provide administrative and paralegal support to Youthlaw’s lawyers and administrative staff. Key responsibilities include:
- incoming and outgoing communication with clients and other relevant parties via phone and email
- providing file management support to lawyers including conflict checking, data entry and maintaining file notes and client records
- conducting research for casework and policy initiatives
- assisting with casework including drafting legal documents and letters and transcribing police interviews
- general administrative tasks including sorting incoming and outgoing mail and photocopying
- other tasks as required
There are also opportunities to attend court and sit in on client interviews with Youthlaw’s lawyers.
- be enrolled in / a graduate of a relevant tertiary degree (eg Law, Legal Studies, Criminology, Communications, Computer Science, IT, Social Work etc);
- have completed at least one year of a relevant tertiary degree (ie in second year of above);
- be available to volunteer once a week (either half or full day) for a minimum of 12 months
- have / obtain a Working With Children Check
No longer a student? We invite applications from graduates however please note that volunteer opportunities are only available during office hours, 9:00am to 5:00pm.
We normally conduct our volunteer intake annually in January/February. Volunteer opportunities may also arise throughout the year if positions become vacant. Please direct any volunteer queries by email to our Admin Officer and Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently not accepting volunteer applications.
Please note COVID-19 has affected our volunteer program. It also has affected our annual intake. Currently, our general volunteer program is suspended.
If you would like to be placed in our mailing list, so that when we do advertise for the volunteer program, you would be one of the first to hear about it, please contact our Admin Officer and Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
Secondary students and tertiary placement students
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to supervise secondary students and tertiary placement students (excluding RMIT JD students undertaking a clinical placement unit). Have a look at the Federation of Community Legal Centre’s website for opportunities at other legal centres .