Youthlaw can sometimes provide legal representation to young people who meet our casework criteria.
Youthlaw also provides free and confidential legal information about the rights of young people to youth workers, teachers or other professionals working with young people and family and friends of young people by telephone or email.
We can give you help with questions about:
- Becoming independent – How old do I have to be to leave home?
- Buying stuff – When can I get a refund?
- Car accidents – I wasn’t insured. Do I have to pay?
- Complaints – About government organisations
- Criminal matters – I have to go to court. What do I need to do?
- Debts – Owing money to banks or mobile phone companies
- Discrimination – When is it illegal? What can I do about it?
- Driving offences – Drink driving, hooning, driving without a licence
- Employment – Your rights at work, are you getting paid the right amount?
- Family – What are your rights when your parents separate?
- Fines – I have too many to pay. What can I do?
- Police issues – Excessive force? Being stopped and searched? Where can I find out my rights?
- Relationships – What are the laws about sex and becoming a young parent?
- Security guards- What they can and cant do
- Tenancy – How can I make my landlord do repairs? I want to leave my house – what do I do?
- Ticket inspectors – What are my rights? Can i complain?
- School – Suspension, expulsion and bullying.
- Victims of crime – Where to get help and information about compensation
- Violence and abuse – How do i get an intervention order?
What we can’t help with (but if you call we can tell you who can help):
- Child protection
- Personal injury
- Wills/ estates
- Powers of Attorney
- Commercial matters
Email a lawyer now
Drop in to one of our Melbourne-based legal services
Skype with a lawyer from a regional or rural location
Or call Youthlaw to speak with a lawyer
(03) 9611 2412 – Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
If you have any feedback or concerns about the service you receive from a Youthlaw lawyer, please have a look this how to make a complaint brochure.