Youthlaw’s Legal Pod Program provides free long-term legal assistance to young people who have recently left out of home care.
The Legal Pod Program pairs a young person aged 18-25 who has left out of home care with a group of private lawyers (a Legal Pod) for up to 3 years. The program is free, but places are limited.
If you are a young person who joins the program, you become the client and the lawyers give you advice about your legal problems, write letters for you and may be able to represent you in court.
Our eligibility criteria are broad and flexible. The Legal Pod Program seeks to help as many young people as possible. Legal Pod clients need to:
- Have had a care experience (including short-term, residential care, foster care, kinship care, informal care, or other arrangement).
- Be Aged 18-25 (up until 26th birthday).
- Be experiencing at least one of the following legal issues:
- Criminal charges
- Debts (owing money)
- Fines, including public transport fines
- Housing, tenancy, homelessness
- Difficulty accessing identity documents (including documents from time in care)
- Financial, income, Centrelink
- Relationships, children and parenting, family violence
- Employment, train and education
- Government and administrative
- Stalking, bullying, or victim of crime
- Discrimination (age, sex, disability or other)
- Be able to attend Melbourne for meetings. The first meeting will take place in a location in this area where the young person feels comfortable or at Youthlaw.
- Be willing to connect with and receive help from a Legal Pod for up to 3 years. Regular meetings occur approximately every 3 months
If you believe you, or a young person you know, are eligible for and interested in the Legal Pod Program, please contact the Managing Lawyer, Fleur, for a confidential discussion on (03) 9611 2412 or via email at Legalpod@youthlaw.asn.au.
Referrals by workers
If you are a worker assisting a young person, and would like a confidential discussion about the Legal Pod Program, please contact the Managing Lawyer, Fleur, for a confidential discussion on (03) 9611 2412 or via email at Legalpod@youthlaw.asn.au.